Occupation Search Results
Licensing Requirements

License Title:



A speech-language pathologist is an individual engaged in the practice of speech-language pathology. Speech-language pathology means applying principles, methods or procedures of prevention, identification, evaluation, consultation, intervention, instruction or research related to speech, language, cognition or swallowing or any abnormal condition involving speech, articulation, fluency, voice, verbal or written language, auditory comprehension, cognition or communication or oral, pharyngeal or laryngeal sensorimotor competencies.

Except as provided under s. 459.22, Wis. Stats., no person may engage in the practice of speech-language pathology or use the title "speech-language pathologist" or any similar title unless the person holds a current speech-language pathologist license granted by the Hearing and Speech Examining Board.

Education: Complete a supervised clinical practicum and receive a master's degree in speech-language pathology from a college or university approved by the examining board or complete education or training that the board determines is substantially equivalent to the completion of those requirements.

Continuing Education Requirements: 20 hour through AAA, ASHA, DPI, HIS, NBC-HIS, or you can take CE through another course provider but it must show approval from one of the 5 listed, or you can take graduate courses from an accredited university, anything you take has to directly relate or be considered Speech-Language Pathology. All others must be submitted by the course provider to the board for approval, they will not approve CE after it has been taken.

Contact the department regarding: Determination process; Credentialed in another state; Trained outside the U.S.; Denial reasons; Determination period, Examination, Experience; Other Certifications; and Contacts.

If you are applying for a temporary license to practice speech-language pathology, an application to take the next available examination for licensure as a speech-language pathologist is required under s. 459.26 (2) (a), Stats.

A temporary license is valid for a period designated by the board, not to exceed 18 months and may be renewed once for 18 months or longer, at the discretion of the board.

Note: An applicant must apply and pay the fees for the temporary and the permanent license at the same time.

Fees: Credential $75; Temporary license $10 (non-refundable).
Biennial renewal: due by January 31 of odd-numbered years $170 - $195 with late fee.

revised 03/13

Licensing Authority:
WI Department of Safety and Professional Services
Hearing and Speech Examining Board
1400 E. Washington Ave.
P.O. Box 8935
Madison, WI 53708-8935
(608)266-2112   (608)261-7083 fax


Occupation Profile
WORKnet is moving! We have developed a new site to house the data and resources currently available on WORKnet. Visit Wisconomy.com to start using our new, interactive tools and resources. WORKnet will be transitioned to WisConomy in the fall of 2018. Please email or contact us with any questions.
Wisconsin.gov E-Government Portal
  American Job Center Banner

Home | Contact Us | About Us | Legal | Help | What's New | Site Map
Department of Workforce Development
  The information on this site is updated regularly. The same search run at another time may produce different results.